Town with harbour is located in the narrowest part of canal Trogir. The original part of town leis at island, which is connect with inland with the stony bridge, going through the island Ciovo, where was the town extended. The chief occupation is building of ships, tobacco industry, pharmaceutical industry and tourism. Because the great location, Middle Ages look and lot of cultural monuments became Trogir to be one of the most beautiful town at Adriatic island.
Town called Tragurion was built at this place by Greeks at 3th century B.C. At the end of 1st century B.C. became to be Romans village Tragurium and was developed in the town with streets, square, sacral buildings and protecting walls. The town had a autonomy in year 1107 as a Hungary-Croatian state.
Town was destroyed by Arabs in year 1132 and start developed again in the next century. During years 1420 - 1797 was under the Venetians domination. The construction of town wall, fort Kamerlengo with protecting tower St. Marko, cathedra, town building and another buildings are are proofs of Venetians epoch.
During years 1797 and 1918 were under Austria control, exception 1806 – 1918, when was France domination. In this epoch was destroyed big part of wall. The most important historic monuments in Trogir are: cathedral of St. Lovro with chapel of St. Ivan from 13th – 15th century, town wall with main entrance, small basilica St. Barbara from 9th or 10th century, the oldest building in the town – church of St. Ivan Krstitelj from year 1270, Benedict monastery with church of St. Nikol, Dominican monastery (14 century) with church of St. Dominik and the town building with arcades from year 1308 with the horologe, palace Cipiko, palcace Lucic and palace Garagnin – Fanfogna with the town museum. We can find more historical information in the Sacral museum and town museum. The original centre of Trogir is part of UNESCO.